Thursday 12 June 2014

Maleficent Review ~spoiler free~

Hey guys!

Last night I went to see Maleficent, Disney's newest big live-action film and I have to admit, as Sleeping Beauty's biggest fan, I was preeeetty nervous about seeing it transformed into live-action, and to see it from a different perspective.

My anxiety however was compleeeetely unneeded!! The cinematography and CGI is absolutely mind-blowing. "The Moors", the fairy/mythical land in the film is genuinely one of the most magical and stunning fantasy places I've ever seen, and my heart yearned to become a fairy and grow wings and just live in a place that is that beautiful.

The story itself is pretty much faultless as well. The only downside I could find within was the character development, as it was just about an hour an a half long, a good extra 15 or so minutes of character depth could've been added to characters other than Aurora (played by the lovely Elle Fanning) and  Maleficent (played by the phenomenal Angelina Jolie), such as King Stefan and his mental state in the latter stages of the film. Other than that it was immensely captivating to see Maleficent as a child, and watch her grow and develop and finally understand why it is that we know her as the ultimate Disney baddy. I genuinely can't imagine anyone else adopting Maleficent the way Angelina Jolie has, she is flawless, giving the role just the right amount of vulnerability as well as her most famous evil badassery!

To learn why Maleficent is as dark and twisted as she is, and to see her relationship with the beautiful and heart-warming Aurora, as well as spell-bounding special effects, a stunning setting and a really truly lovely story that subverts any previous misconceptions we may have had about the story of Sleeping Beauty, Maleficent really is a wonderful film for all of the family to love.

I hope you're all having a lovely week, until next time, all my love,

No comments:

Post a Comment